Since my last post, there have been so many wonderful get-togethers for which I have been preparing things, that I can’t wait to share with you. (Sneak peak: Yogurt mousse strawberry Pavlova, Jerk chicken pineapple skewers…)
But, before doing so, I tweeted a coupled days ago raving about this chicken I had prepared… And, well, here it is! One of my favorite foods is baked/roasted crispy skin chicken. Not deep fried chicken(although chicken fingers are my weakness… anyone have a good baked chicken fingers recipe??), but rotisserie chicken or perfectly executed Greek lemon oregano chicken. So, when I saw this recipe posted by The Wednesday Chef, I just had to try it.
Imagine a really juicy chicken thigh surrounded by a light crunchy crmbly breadcrumb crust fragranced by fresh herbs and mustard. Is your mouth watering yet? Not yet? How about adding some kick from the mustard seeds? There you go, now you are with me. For the fresh herbs, you can really put any robust herbs you want, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, but I agree with Luisa in her choices of herbs. By now, I think, you are very well aware of my love the combination of chicken and tarragon(from the asparagus chicken tart), add to that some sage and thyme, and it is warm earthy deliciousness. But for me the part that made it really special was my blend of peppercorns. Really, having so many kinds in your pepper mill just offers every dish such an interesting a playful kick! I had bought this mix at a store, however, you can easily recreate by mixing equal parts black, white, green and red peppercorns.
So we’ve talked about the chicken, its ridiculously crunchy light crust, now let’s talk salad. You need a good fresh, light salad of offset some of the heaviness of the herbs in the spicing during the summer months. So I prepared a salad with gem lettuce, which is insanely cute, it is like a miniature head of lettuce, really sweet, crispy and refreshing. Topped it with some firm sweet raspberries. The dressing consisted of 1 lemon’s juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Simple and delicious!
Baked Panko Mustard Seed Crusted Chicken
- 1 quartered Chicken (I used chicken thighs, but would have preferred breast)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Dijon whole seed mustard
- 1 tsp crushed sage
- 1 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup Panko flakes (or bread crumbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 160˚C (325˚F).
- Wash pieces of chicken and pat dry. Mix 2 mustards and smooth thoroughly over chicken pieces.
- In an open bowl, combine sage, thyme, tarragon, garlic powder, breadcrumbs. Roll the pieces of chicken in the mixture one at a time, placing them in a baking dish.
- Once all pieces have been placed in the dish, take the remaining breadcrumb mixture and add extra topping to the top part of each piece.
- Dizzle the olive oil over the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs turn golden brown.