It’s been a crazy and fun couple weeks between transitioning from one home to the next. Had the wonderful opportunity to stay with my friend and former roomie, Meg, and her lovely fiancé! We got to do some cooking, laughing and plenty of catching up 🙂
Before this moving madness began, back when I was still enjoying my time in sunny Greece, I made a wonderfully delicate salad using fresh delicious figs. These honey sweet and soft fruit hold a very warm spot in my heart. Every summer, we would pick them directly off the tree in our grandparents’ houses, in Greece, when they were at their absolute plumpest and most succulent stage. We would wait for the green figs to slowly transform to include purple streaks from the bottom to the top of the fruit. We would eat countless figs straight from the tree, and snob any that were already picked and stored in the fridge.
It was not until this summer, when I left too early from Greece, to pick figs myself, that I ever bought them in a store. As I was picking them up from the shelf, I realized there were two types, green and purple(black)! We only had the green ones, but as you can imagine, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to try them out and determine the difference on my own.
So I decided to make a salad using both types of fresh figs, added Parmesan to offset the sweetness with a sharp saltiness, pine nuts for their oily smoky nuttiness, all on a bed of really fun curly lettuce. This is a really delicious salad which embraces to complexity and subtlety of the lovely fruits. It also can be made with their dry counter parts, just make sure you have gotten the softer ones.
P.S. I still prefer green figs, the purple ones were so sweet they were almost too much, although in combination with the others they were perfect!
P.S.S. In the photos I had added prosciutto; however, it had too many flavors competing. You should choose either parmesan or prosciutto.
- 3 Ripe Green Figs
- 3 Ripe Black Figs
- Handful of sliced Parmesan cheese (or as much as you like)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 heads of your favorite soft lettuce
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Glaze (store-bought, or simply balsamic vinegar)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash the heads of lettuce thoroughly and tear into pieces.
- Peel the figs and cut each one in 4 lengthwise.
- Take a peeler to your piece of Parmesan and shave off nice big pieces of Parmesan.
- In a large serving bowl place 2/3 the cut lettuce, with half the figs, and some Parmesan cheese.
- Layer with the remaining lettuce, figs, parmesan (carefully placed to remain intact). Sprinkle with pine nuts, season with salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, gently drizzle olive oil around the top, and then in single decisive movements, squeeze balsamic glaze on top to make beautiful dark design.
Seriously you have to try this one!!