I hope that you are looking forward to the weekend as much as I am! A and I are going away to Sarasota, FL for the long weekend as it is Presidents Day here in the US. We are looking forward to relaxing on the beach on the Western coast of Florida, as well as some bike riding, and even some museum visiting!
Making the sugar cookies last week for valentines day was a lot of fun, and it brought back memories of comfort food. That is why I decided to make some majadra, a rice and lentils dish. This is one of my favorite dishes, and I feel like I say that about all the food that we eat in my family, but I think that there is not one member of my family that does not like this dish. And it goes great with a tomato and cucumber salad topped with some Greek yogurt! It is a great dish for those of you that are vegetarian or those of you who love rice and love lentils! I made mine with brown rice just to add a ‘healthy’ touch.
I made half of the recipe below and followed the same instructions.
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 3 white onions (or any other) cut into thin slices or rings
- 3 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of lentils
- 6 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (optional)
- 4 spoons of butter or margarine
- salt to taste
- Fry the onions slowly with the oil until brown (soak the oil with a kitchen towel if you want). Set the onions aside and leave in the oil if you want.
- In the same pot that you will be preparing the rice, cook the lentils in 6 cups of water for 20 minutes at a medium heat.
- Add the rice, 2 spoonfuls of the fried onions, and 2 spoons of the oil from the onions (optional) and mix.
- Add some salt to taste and cook the rice as you normally would (~40 minutes for brown rice).
- Add the cumin, black ground pepper and paprika (optional).
- Once the rice has cooked, add the rest of the oil from the onions and mix with a fork, and continue cooking at a low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Add the butter on top of the rice and mix.
- When you serve the rice, place the rest of the fried onions on top.
- Serve with Greek (plain) yogurt, tomatoes and cucumbers!
Have a wonderful weekend!!!