I love that we finally got a guest post on our blog! So to our readers, please let us know when you want to be a guest on Feta and Arepa and we will gladly give you the space to show us your talents! Lorena did a great job with her photography (drooling on those pictures of the Alfajores) and I cannot wait to try them out!
We finally hosted some friends in our new place last weekend and I had quite a few vegetarians invited for dinner so I decided to make my meal mostly vegetarian. The theme for the evening was Mexican, so I had salsa, and chips, and guacamole, and a 7-layer dip, and margaritas! Dinner was fajitas with the protein option of Tilapia or Smart Ground. Smart Ground is a protein rich meat substitute that when you spice it up, it almost feels like you are having ground beef. It was pretty good and a good option for you during lent if you can find it in the UK.
Fajitas are great because you can really customize how you put them together with all the topping options. We had the options to add sauteed vegetables, beans, rice, guacamole, cheese, sour cream and salsa aside from the protein option. The recipe that I will highlight here is for the Tilapia. The rest of the fajita components are pretty easy.
- 1-1/2 pounds Tilapia fillets cut into strips
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sauteed vegetables of your choice (Onions, broccoli, peppers, carrots, zucchini)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- flour tortillas
- Salsa–I made your Mango Salsa (did not come out as good as yours looks though!)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Marinate the tilapia for about 1 hour with the garlic powder, olive oil, chili powder, lime juice, and fresh ground pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until fish flakes easily.
- You can also choose to cook the fish in a frying pan on medium heat until fish flakes easily.
- While your tilapia is baking, sauté the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortillas, rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- Add all your toppings to your tortilla, roll, and enjoy with a frozen margarita!