I love the combination of your salads! Salads are the PERFECT summer meal when it is so hot outside there is nothing better to cool you off, well a beer would be even better but there has been no beer drinking for me in the past 9 months so salads are whats on the menu! There will be plenty of beer drinking soon though :)!
Two weeks ago my mom and I were preparing for the arrival of Baby M and we were getting food ready for the baby naming that ended up being a Brit Milah because he is a boy! One of the desserts that we prepared are Mamules, cookies filled with date paste. These look hard to make but in reality they are pretty easy, you just need to have the patience to make them just like with the Baklava.
- 3 lbs of dates
- 1-2 tsp of sugar
- 2 Tbsp Margarine/Butter
- Chopped Walnuts (Optional)
- Remove the pits from the dates.
- Place the dates and the other ingredients in a pot with very little water, about 4 Tbsp, and let the dates melt until the consistency is that of a jam.
- Place in the refrigerator until the cookies are ready to be put together.
- 2 lbs of flour (separate 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup of Semolina Flour
- 1 lb Margarine/Butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of room temperature water (you might need more)
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp (or more) of Orange Blossom water
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Mix the Semolina flour with the flour and add the Margarine, baking powder, salt, sugar and knead until the dough comes together. Let the dough sit for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, split the date paste into 10 parts and prepare an area for rolling the dough.
- Split the dough into 10 parts and roll out in a rectangular shape.
- Spread the date pate onto the dough.
- Roll the dough, decorate the long cookie and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes so that the roll hardens a little so that it can be cut before baking.
- Once the cookies are thinly cut, bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden.
- Decorate the cookies with powdered and enjoy with a good cup of tea or coffee.