How are you? How is sunny Miami??
Somewhere, over the past 2-3 years, I have realized that one of the parts I love most about the weekend is brunch. When I mean brunch, it is only eaten in the morning until noonish, but no later than that(I am not in the “Lovers of Breakfast for dinner” club). I prepare brunch both days of the weekend, unless I have arranged to go out for some scrumptious deliciousness with friends on one of them, regardless of where I eat, eggs are my weekend staple.
Over the course of these years, I have whipped up myriads of different recipes with eggs, starting simple and increasingly getting more and more intricate. Below are just a few examples:
- Sunny side up eggs with freshly toasted bread for dipping in the runny yolk
- Eggs over medium (my favorite) on toasted bread with cream cheese and tomato slices
- Egg-filled phyllo parcels
- Poached eggs on english muffins
- Scrambled eggs accompanied by an open faced chunky avocado, cilantro, freshly cracked pepper and lime on brown baguette sandwich
- Omelet-quesadillas with cheese and hot spicy sauce
- Scrambled eggs accompanied by a ham and cheese croissant baked until the cheese is melted and the ham has crisped
And this list is forever growing, because I am constantly looking for new ways to eat eggs for breakfast…
But yesterday, i stumbled on to something so good and so simple, I just had to share it! I call it “The Brunch Tart”, it is everything I love about brunch in a most elegant presentation: Croissant(puff pastry shell), sunny side up eggs, cheese, fresh veggies all crisped to perfection. ENJOY!
- 250g puff pastry dough(i could only find 500g, but cut it in half)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 leek, julienned
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Pre-heat oven to 200C (395F)
- Flour your tart pan, to avoid your tart from sticking to it.
- Roll out puff pastry to 1/2 cm thick, and place snuggly on your tart tin, ensuring the sides fasten around the top border to avoid contracting during baking.
- Crack 3 eggs directly into the dough, sprinkle with mushrooms, leeks, cheese, tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is nice and golden. Remove from tart tin carefully not to crack your crust and serve immediately!