Last weekend I went to Greece for the weekend to see my family, and I hosted a dinner party to see my closest friends… of course!
Since we started this blog, I have been so excited about all my new cooking talents that I wanted to show them off. So I decided to make one of the dishes I love deeply, Paella! And well, it was totally mediocre!! I used the totally wrong rice for this, no one told me that basmati was not suitable for this dish and it turned mushy, the amazing seafood flavor didn’t come out. The best part was that the only food we were serving that night was this paella! oh well, they all love me so they ate it with a smile🙂
But whenever I go home I get this strong urge to eat fresh crunchy amazing vegetables… so last night I decided to bring my Mediterranean to Oxford through a refreshing tabouleh. I have made tabouleh a bunch of times, and every time I find myself confused with the texture. I am never sure if all of that fine chopping by hand works for me, by way of the best texture, or if I prefer a more rustic flare. And then there is couscous… I love it in Moroccan food, but otherwise I am not a huge fan, I really prefer something more nutritious and chewier. So I decided to try: Barley Tabouleh… in short… YUMMMMMMMMM!!!
- 240 gr / 1 cup Pearl Barley
- 1 bouillon cube (vegetable or chicken)
- 330 gr / 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 60 gr parsley / 1 cup chopped parsley
- 6-8 Mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 lemons’ juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp sumac
- pinch allspice
- pinch cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Place barley in a small sauce pan covering with cold water. Bring to the boil remove from heat, rinse.
- Return to sauce pan, cover again with cold water add the bouillon cube and bring to the boil. Once it is boiling, reduce heat and simmer until all the water is absorbed, stir occasionally. (will take 30 -40 mins). Set to the side to cool.
- While barley is cooking, dice all the remaining ingredients and place in bowl.
- Once barley is at room temperature, add to vegetables, add lemon juice, olive oil and spices.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes for flavours to blend. Serve!